Saturday, September 3, 2011

Just a Glimpse



This year I am in a Creative Writing class, which I am absoulutely loving.  On most days, my teacher will give us an assignment, which is usually an observation or activity she encourages us to participate in and then write about in our writing journals.  So, on Wednesday in class, she gave us our assignment: wear a disguise in plain sight.  Wear something we would NEVER wear if it were up to us, and recored how people treat or observe you differently. 
So, to make some excitement out of this experience, my friend Albanee and I decided to dress and act in a way completely opposite to the way we normally do.  We decided to dress as if we were gothic or emo (I'm not sure which one we would be described as.)  So, decking ourselves out in as much makeup and dark clothing as we could, we prepared ourselves to go to the store.  After QUITE a LONG time of getting ready, we drove to Dick's grocery store.  We then walked around and purchased items there and across the street at Arctic Circle.  As we tried our best to act differently, it was so interesting to observe people's reaction.  Although I know that there are lots of people that dress and act as we were trying to, it was hard to believe  -as we experienced the world in our costumes- that those people would find it normal to be regarded in the way that we were.  All in all, it was a pretty fun and entertaining experience to be someone your not.  It was good to get a view of what it is like to be someone we aren't, even if we only got a small glimpse.  It really opened my eyes to how everyone's lives are so different and we all have our own, unique stories worth worrying over and sharing.


Yes, this is me... I don't think it is a very good look for me D:
And here... Is Albanee... With her nose, lip and ear piercings

No comments:

Post a Comment